History of the Pharmacy
The Pharmacy of St. Ulrich was founded between 1697 and 1713 by
the Collegium pharmazeuticum viennensis, a union of the
bourgeois pharmacists of Vienna, as a branch pharmacy in the
suburban area of St. Ulrich, which belonged to the Scottish
The pharmacy was always located in the immediate vicinity of the church St.Ulrich. First in the house "Zum Ebenaus", later in the house "Zu den 12 Himmelszeichen", then it was located at "St.Ulrich am Platz Nr.47" (at that time it had the sign: "Zum goldenen Schiff"), finally at Ulrichsplatz Nr. 4.
In 1888 it was moved to its present location at Burggasse 22, corner Ulrichsplatz.This branch pharmacy was always managed by the respective sub-senior of the Collegium. A total of five pharmacy managers appear in the chronicle of the Collegium until its dissolution in 1782.
The Pharmacy St.Ulrich, which, like all public pharmacies in Vienna, was only allowed to be run by pharmacists who had acquired the citizenship of the city, was known for its free distribution of medicines to the poor of the suburb.
The bourgeois pharmacists remained in possession of their branch pharmacy in St. Ulrich for about 100 years. Under Emperor Joseph II the Collegium was dissolved in 1782 and the branch pharmacy had to be sold. When the pharmacy was publicly licensed, pharmacist Matthias Moser purchased the pharmacy, but according to a government decree he had to administer the medicines at half the previous price. Matthias Moser sold the pharmacy to Johann Pölking in 1783 already.
In 1786 Johann Pölking had to give the pharmacy to his creditors due to debts, who sold it to pharmacist Scharinger in 1787. Scharinger was the head of the pharmacists' committee and was awarded the great Golden Medal of Honour for his great merits in the field of caring for the poor.
His son and successor Josef Scharinger jun. was succeeded as the next owner by Dr.Ignaz Edler von Wärth, who was also head of the committee, member of the permanent medical commission and guest examiner at the strict examinations of pharmacists.
From 1865 to 1908, apart from pharmacists Kolder and Rupp, five other pharmacy managers are mentioned - there have been fifteen in total since the pharmacy was first mentioned.
In 1908 the Magisters Gustav Marx and Heinrich Spranger bought the widow's continuation business after pharmacist Kolder as partners. Since Magister Spranger died on the Isonzo Front in 1915, his heirs were paid off and Magister Gustav Marx became the sole owner.After the death of Gustav Marx in 1921, the pharmacy was divided between the widow Irene and her 3 children in a partnership agreement. The minor called Trude received ⅙.
In the following decades the shares were divided again and it took until 1995 until the change from a real concession to a personnel concession meant that only 3 owners were registered. Trude Kopelent née Marx, her son Kurt Kopelent and the grandson Thomas.
Mag. Kurt Kopelent became concessionaire until his son Dr. Thomas Kopelent replaced him in 2011.
Dr. Thomas Kopelent died completely unexpectedly in January 2015. Thereupon decided Kurt Kopelent with a heavy heart after four generations to sell the pharmacy.
Mag. Roswitha Kronemann, a long-time employee, then followed as the new owner.